Re: Chinese characters in BBEdit?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 10:41:49 +0200
To: Chris von Rosenvinge <chris@vingdesign.com>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

* Chris von Rosenvinge wrote:
>I use the BBTidy plug-in (1.0b10-01 Dec 02, © W3C
>1998-2002, Terry Teague 1998-2004) in BBEdit
>8.2.2, and it has a bug that renders the tidied
>file in Chinese characters. As a workaround, I
>save the document in UTF-16 coding. At this point
>I can reopen the document and it reads normally
>in BBEdit, but the Chinese characters show up in
>a browser. I then zap non-ASCII characters and
>resave the file in Latin 1 coding. It finally
>reads normally both in BBEdit and in a browser.

The best way to deal with this is probably to do everything in UTF-8 and
properly declare the encoding. Tidy has a -utf8 switch to say that the
input is in utf-8 and that utf-8 should be used for the output, BBEdit
probably has a setting to say that the document is utf-8 encoded and you
need to add a <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;charset=
utf-8"> to the <head> of the document. This should just work then, no
matter which characters you use in the document.