Re: Puzzled by lack of HTML, HEAD and BODY tags in output

From: John Bray <home@johnbray.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:37:21 +0100
To: HTML-tidy list <html-tidy@w3.org>

I guess I thought that HEAD and BODY were still essential. Certainly
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html suggests they are still
needed, though I've not burrowed into the details of the specification.

The tidy -help option reports that

-omit             omit optional end tags

And the quick reference and Dave's overview omits the option (ho ho!)

They do mention --hide-endtags, which seems to the same thing, removing
end tags and wrapper tags.

Perhaps the functionality should be split, so that --hide-endtags just
removes the end tags, and -omit removes all redundant tags.

At least the documentation and help should be updated to clarify things.

John