HTML proprietary, what DOCTYPE?

From: Nicole Anson <info@valuedesign.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:20:12 -0500 (EST)
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

Hi great people!

Tidy keeps saying: Document content looks like HTML proprietary
I looked for days but can’t find what DOCTYPE I should put in.

I tried the 4.01 transitional, loose but W3 keeps saying that is not correct.
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

I didn’t create the site, just optimizing it, and I don’t know, the site
has some Java Script for drop down menus, otherwise nothing special. What
do I need to put in?

Thanks you,
--
Nicole Anson