Re: Smart quotes

From: Fred Bone <Fred.Bone@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:17:41 +0100
To: "Dirk Kruisheer" <d.kruisheer@xs4all.nl>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

On 6 Oct 2003 at 14:26, Dirk Kruisheer wrote:

> [reposted from comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html and
> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.tools]
>
> Hello all,
>
> As I'm new to this list specifically for the question below, please advise
> me if I'm in the wrong place here.
>
> I'm trying to convert some files from html into xhtml with HTML Tidy, GUI
> version. It does a great job, except that it uncurls all the quotation
> marks, single and double. There seems to be no difference between the
> various options for character sets (I use UTF-8). I tried with &ldquo; and
> &#8220; etc. in the source but also these are turned into strait quotes.
> What other values or possibilities are there?
>
> How can I keep my smart quotes?

Specify --ascii-chars no

From the Quick Reference
<http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html>

ascii-chars
Type: Boolean
Default: yes
Example: y/n, yes/no, t/f, true/false, 1/0	char-encoding
Can be used to modify behavior of -c (--clean yes) option. Defaults
to "yes" when using -c. Set to "no" to prevent converting &emdash;,
&rdquo;, and other named character entities to their ascii
equivalents.