Smart quotes

From: Dirk Kruisheer <d.kruisheer@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:26:12 +0200
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

[reposted from comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html and
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.tools]

Hello all,

As I'm new to this list specifically for the question below, please advise
me if I'm in the wrong place here.

I'm trying to convert some files from html into xhtml with HTML Tidy, GUI
version. It does a great job, except that it uncurls all the quotation
marks, single and double. There seems to be no difference between the
various options for character sets (I use UTF-8). I tried with &ldquo; and
&#8220; etc. in the source but also these are turned into strait quotes.
What other values or possibilities are there?

How can I keep my smart quotes?

Thanks, Dirk