Can I use JTidy to "unescape" XML content inside normal XML elements?

From: Karr, David <David.Karr@wamu.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:01:37 -0700
To: html-tidy@w3.org

I have a process which will provide XML that has one odd characteristic.
It will be mostly normal, except some of the content of some particular
tags will be "escaped" XML content.  That is, the content will begin
with "&lt;" and eventually end with "&gt;".  I'm trying to figure out a
clean XSLT way of transforming this input to "clean" XML before I do a
further transform on it.  I thought of using JTidy to do this first
step.  Is it possible for JTidy to clean up arbitrary XML, replacing
"escaped" XML content with its unescaped form?

I might just boot this entirely and build a "string replace" loop in
Java.