Re: appending styles with underscore

From: Jany Quintard <jany.quintard@free.fr>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:44:43 +0200
To: html-tidy@w3.org

* Christophe Strobbe [Wed, 02/07/2003 at 10:10 +0200]

> Hi Glen,
>
> .../...
>
> I would also like to mention that it is better to avoid underscores in ID
> and CLASS values, even though they are permitted: see Eric Meyer's note on
> Netscape Devedge:
> http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2001/css-underscores/.
It is certainly better to avoid underscores in ID-type attributes, as
they are, according to SGML standards, NAME tokens.
A NAME attribute has the following characteristics :
 Case-insensitive
 Max length : NAMELEN (see in the SGML declaration)
 First character: A..Z
 Subsequent characters: A..Z, 0..9, period, hyphen
So, underscores are *not*allowed* in ID attributes.

class being usually a CDATA, there are no syntactical constraints, be a
bit discipline canb't be a trouble.

Jany