Re: Ambiguous copyright ownership and licenses of HTML Tidy on SF

On 19 Mar 2003 at 10:12, Joseph Reagle wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I've noted some ambiguity with respect to the disposition of HTML Tidy on
> SF. I can't find any copyright notice in:
>   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tidy/
> and on:
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy
> it does not state the owner, and mistakenly (?) states MIT License.
>
> The SF FAQ states that the author of the materials is the owner [1] and one
> should avoid the misconception that, "software does not actually have a
> license holder, because of its free nature."
>
> [1] http://gro.clinux.org/docs/site/faq.php#whohost-owns
>
> If the software, or some part, is owned by the W3C, it should have a
> document describing the ownership, for example:
>   http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software-short-notice
>   http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software
> and the SF project should be tweaked to reflect the W3C Software License is
> the operative license.
>   http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=320
>
> (If this is not the case, again, it would be useful to have a document
> making this clear.)

Well, there's the copyright notice in tidy.c, which states it's
copyright W3C (MIT, INRI, Keio U).

Without doing a whole raft of poking about, I have no idea whether
the MIT Licence differs materially from the W3C one, or indeed
whether the W3C one existed when Tidy was first released.