Re: observing HTML rules when converting to XML

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:48:32 +0100
To: HTML-tidy list <html-tidy@w3.org>

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:08:46 +0100 (CET), Piotr Banski
<bansp@venus.ci.uw.edu.pl> wrote:

..

> My point was that the markup in question is not invalid XML. or rather,
> that Tidy has no way of knowing that. Given that Tidy offers the option
> of translating HTML into XML, which I'm sure is the reason many people
> use
> this tool nowadays, "fixing invalid markup" does not mean, or should not
> mean IMO, the same as "making markup compliant with *some* version of
> HTML". Naturally, if what you're saying is the Dev Team's point of view
> then I have no other way but to accept it. However, not relocating markup
> in HTML->XML translation still seems a plausible config option to me.

Unless I'm mistaken, Tidy translates HTML to XHTML, which has a defined
syntax and vocabulary. It is not a generic XML tool.

--
 If you don't like having choices    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
 made for you, you should start      |   Documentation & QA