Re: Spammers

From: Terry Teague <terry_teague@users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:28:20 -0800
To: html-tidy@w3.org

At 2:50 PM +0100 3/31/03, Fred Bone wrote:
>On 31 Mar 2003 at 13:31, Jany Quintard wrote:
>

>> Is it me or are we really the targets of spammers?
>> Is it possible to stop this?
>
>The list is open, i.e. anyone can send to it.
>
>I am sending a complaint to yahoo.com - I have had 21 of these
>messages so far. They all seem to be advertising websites on
>geocities.com
>
>If we all complain, maybe they'll take action.

Not to beat a dead horse, but we should probably count ourselves as lucky.
Some public lists I have seen are 99% spam, and I would never post to those
lists. It is unfortunate that the html-tidy archives are publically
available for spam harvesters to troll - a technique that works for Apple
Computer's public list archives, is to simply password protect the archives
with a documented password that must be entered to continue; other mailing
list archives obscure the poster's EMail address.

I maintain the "tidy-develop" mailing list - this is a closed list, and the
users never get to see the spam that gets sent to the list administrator -
on a good day I receive 1 piece of spam, on a bad day, it is currently
running at about 3-4 pieces.

I see spam from the same senders occasionally, both to personal EMail
addresses, and to lists I am a member of - I recently rejoined the
"html-tidy", and I hope that didn't trigger this latest event.

Regards, Terry