RE: specifying numeric entities converted to hex vs. decimal

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:56:57 -0400
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Dan Jacobson wrote:
> >Tidy should have a way of specifying if one wants all  numeric
> >entities converted to hex vs. decimal.  E.g. Bob wants all mine hex,
> >Bill wants all decimal.
>
> Why do you want hexadecimal character references? Browser support is
> worse than for decimal character references.

Hex references have worked in IE since at least 5.0 and in current
Mozilla and Opera builds for as long as I can remember.  The only
browser still in use that does not support them is Netscape 4.x, and
that browser is slowly disappearing (thankfully!:).

The main reason, IMO, for allowing hex references is entering from and
checking against the Unicode tables.  I agree with Dan -- I think having
an option for expressing character references in hex is a good idea;
something like:

	hex-references: yes/NO

/Jelks