Re: Source releases aren't compressed.

From: Terry Teague <terry_teague@users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 00:55:47 -0700
To: "Bill Pringlemeir" <spam_account@sympatico.ca>, html-tidy@w3.org

At 3:04 PM -0400 10/7/02, Bill Pringlemeir wrote:
>These links list files as "tgz" with a size of 150k.
>
> "http://tidy.sourceforge.net/src/tidy_src.tgz"
> "http://tidy.sourceforge.net/src/old/"
>
>Gzip kept complaining of a bad header, so I looked at the files with
>Emacs in hexl-mode and they are straight tar file.

Hmmm. I use the -z option in the command to tar the files (on a Linux 2.4
[Debian 2.2] x86 machine), and here is what "file" had to say on the
current "tidy_src.tgz", as seen on a different machine:

terry_teague@usw-pr-shell1:~$ file tidy_src.tgz
tidy_src.tgz: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Sun Oct  6
23:50:03 2002, os: Unix

What platform are you running on? I know there are some problems with the
binary executable tar files on some platforms, but I believe is the first
problem I have heard of about the source archive.

Regards, Terry