RE: Request: a 'strip-presentation' option

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Jelks Cabaniss" <jelks@jelks.nu>
> (1) wants a single option to drop presentation stuff entirely,
> (2) and for this to also strip class= attributes.
>
> I agree with (1).
> But when mapping from XML to HTML I like to use the class= attribute
> to record the original XML element type.  If you have an information
> retrieval system that tries to exploit element structure (and this is
> one very good reason for wanting to have only structural elements
> there) then you might want to use the *original* element types in your
> indexing, if you know them.  I know someone who is building just such
> an information retrieval system, so I wouldn't go along with (2).
> What I want instead is a way for presentation stripping not to touch
> class attributes at all.

Ah, I wasn't clear.  I didn't mean for Tidy to strip *all* class
attributes, just the ones *it* builds internally to replace <FONT> tags,
etc. when the "clean" option is specified (Tidy names these classes

Class attributes in the original markup should of course be left intact.

/Jelks