RE: Tidy adding returns inside xml elements

From: Howard, Kipp (LNG-CL) <Kipp.Howard@lexisnexis.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:01:14 -0700
To: "'Charles Reitzel'" <creitzel@rcn.com>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

Charles Reitzel [mailto:creitzel@rcn.com] wrote:
> Tidy could print all empty tags the way Howard wants, tho.
> Do folks want
> that behavior for all generic XML?

I guess you already know my opinion, but I wanted to state it anyway.

would say convert them.  The only place I can see this being a problem for
someone running an XML document through tidy might not expect it to make
this kind of change.  I would be pleasantly surprised if it did this but
some might not.  I hate to say it, but maybe there should be an option that
would default to creating the "<empty />" elements.

> Opinions, please.  I
> really don't have
> one on this subject.  Also, there is an outstanding bug to turn off
> indenting for generic XML (you can't).

I think I noticed this when I was trying to debug my original problem.  It
is good to know that it has already been reported.

PS: Thanks for looking into and fixing the problem I was having already.  I
may just have to try and compile the tidy code myself rather than wait for
the MinGW version to pick it up.

--
Kipp E. Howard - Sr. Software Engineer @ LexisNexis CourtLink
kipp.howard@courtlink.com