non ascii characters transformed to whatever

From: Fernando Nuņez <fernando.nunez@pildo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:32:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

Hi all,
First contribution/question.....
When I run tidy on some HTML pages which contain non ascii characters
(science equations, basically), they are transformed to a string of
strange characters (a sequence of non ascii and ascii characters). As
this is only one step into a, in theory, automatic process, we cannot
afford re-changing it by hand.
Does any of you happened to know whether it is possible to "tell" tidy
not to transform this kind of characters.
It is really driving me crazy....
Thanks in advance
Fernando