RE: Entities, Tidy and valid XML.

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:47:08 -0500
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Matthew Stanfield wrote:

> Please ignore my earlier email, someone has just told me I
> need to define all entities in an xml document apart from:
> &amp; &apos; &gt; &lt; &quot; [&, ', >, <, "].

Yes.  I see this is becoming a FAQ here too, so ...

Q.  Why doesn't &nbsp; (or &copy;, or &Whatever;) work in XML?

A.  They *will* work if and only if you've referenced a DTD that
declares them for you, such as the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD at

or you have declared them yourself, as in ...

   <?xml version="1.0"?>
   <!DOCTYPE doc [
     <!ENTITY nbsp "&#160;">
     <!ENTITY copy "&#169;">