Re: Tags lacking a terminating '>' are spotted

From: ewitness - Ben Fowler <bfowler@ewitness.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 05:50:18 +0000
To: html-tidy@w3.org
>Ben Fowler commented on <html<head
>and I remarked that
>	> Quite some time ago, I posted patches to make this work.
>Dave Raggett responded:
>
>	I seem to remember that is is disallowed by the HTML spec,

I hesitate to take a position contrary to a co-author, and probably
the senior author of the relevant documents, but my
reading of <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.7 >
suggests that the relevant features are certainly allowed
in HTML and are not even deprecated. the only warning is that some
browsers do not support them.

>The SGML declarations in the HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.0 specifications
>very clearly disallow this (leaving out the > at the end of a tag
>when there is a following <).

Do you have a URL for this?

Ben