Re: Tags lacking a terminating '>' are spotted

From: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:17:57 +1300 (NZDT)
To: dsr@w3.org, ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Cc: bfowler@ewitness.co.uk, html-tidy@w3.org
Ben Fowler commented on <html<head
and I remarked that
	> Quite some time ago, I posted patches to make this work.
Dave Raggett responded:

	I seem to remember that is is disallowed by the HTML spec,

The SGML declarations in the HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.0 specifications
very clearly disallow this (leaving out the > at the end of a tag
when there is a following <).

HOWEVER, the reason I sent patches way back when was that this
pattern nevertheless occurs in some real HTML pages.

	 but in any case won't work with existing web browsers.

Yes, exactly.  That's why it's nice for Tidy to fix it.