Re: Tags lacking a terminating '>' are spotted

From: ewitness - Ben Fowler <bfowler@ewitness.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:25:05 +0000
To: html-tidy <html-tidy@w3.org>
>On 5 Feb 2002 at 11:44, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
>>  Here is a topic from the Tidy documentation -
>>         This is something you then have to fix yourself as
>>         Tidy is unsure of where the > should be inserted.
>>  Are there example web pages or markup where tags missing their TAGC
>>  cause ambiguity?
>OK, you tell me where to put the > in this:

I think I see.

Plugging your example into the WDG validator gives no
fewer than 10 validation errors.

cell elements ...</td>

The code I posted was valid SGML.

Yes, if you remove the requirement that the mark up is valid, I
can certainly see that one can create examples where there is more
than one place that the TAGC could go.

Even in this case, you could make a rule that the TAGC
goes in the last place that it could to make a properly
formed element.

Of course it is more than arguable that Tidy ought
not to suggest reparing such a construct with

as attribute minimization is not part of XHTML.

I will try feeding a few of these to Tidy and see what
it does.