RE: Always outputting lowercase attributes for xhtml output

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:22:05 -0500
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Michael Lambert wrote:

> I'm using tidy-win32 and have a bug or problem with my
> settings (most likely).  Tidy is always outputting lowercase
> (not preserving original
> case) when the option output-xhtml=y is set.
>
> The following tag (snip): <SPAN buttonType="appNav"
> CLASS="appNavOff"> results in: <span buttontype="appNav"
> class="appNavOff">

That's not a bug.  In XHTML, *all* tags (element names) and attribute
names have to be lowercase.  See

	http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

Judging from your snippet above, though, it doesn't appear as though you
really want XHTML -- you have an attribute named "buttonType" which
doesn't appear in any of the XHTML DTDs.  Perhaps what you want is an
HTML-ish type markup of your own, but expressed in XML syntax.  In that
case, I would use "output-xml", not "output-xhtml".

/Jelks