RE: <base> requirement (was - Web archive processing)

From: Parsons, Rick <rick.parsons@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:12:22 -0500 (EST)
To: "'html-tidy@w3.org'" <html-tidy@w3.org>
Perhaps I have been missing something all these years.

I have never come across a recommendation that pages SHOULD contain a <base>
element for usability or any other reason. Indeed, I have sites that depend
on it not being there. That is the way I get mirrors to work. If there was a
<base> it would need changing on each mirror site. A missing target is a
missing target whether addressed absolutely or relatively.

Cheers,

Rick Parsons

OPC: St. Ives and Towednack
R E N O W D E N One Name Study
West Penwith Resources http://west-penwith.cornwall.eu.org/
email: mailto:rick.parsons@bigfoot.com
website: http://www.parsons1998.freeserve.co.uk/
address: 18, Brighton Road, Redland, Bristol, BS6 6NT England
telephone: +(44) 117 974 1288