Web archive processing

From: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:01:42 +1300 (NZDT)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
I'm teaching a small group of students a very short course on web usability.
I have them using ICab (so that they can see ICab frown and read its error
log), and have got them to save a frowny page so that they can drop it into
MacTidy.  This is fine, and tells them a lot they need to know, but one
problem came up.

The "File|Save As" menu choice in ICab offers three options:
* Plain text
* HTML (without images)
* Web Archive (with images)
A couple of students made the obvious choice that they didn't want to
throw the images away, so they chose "
Web Archive" as the output form.
MacTidy apparently doesn't know about Web Archive form, whatever that is,
and as far as I can tell neither does the UNIX source version of HTML Tidy.

Could someone
- tell me where I can find out about Web Archive form so that I can teach
  Tidy about it myself (as if I had lots of free time)
- or implement this feature (as if anyone else has lots of free time either).

Also, what should I do to make Tidy complain if a page
+ does contain relative URIs,
- does NOT have a <base> element in the <head>?