RE: don't collapse two spaces at the end of a sentence

	Personally I always use two spaces at the end of sentences.
Yes, it does hark back to the days of manual, fixed-pitch
typewriters, but it is the way I was taught and, more importantly, I
believe it aids legibility.  With no disrespect to Diane, compare her
brief message below, to Charlie's.

	That the HTML specs require multiple white-space characters
to be rendered as a single space certainly cleans up the resultant
the layout, especially when there may be extra carriage-returns
and/or line-feeds in the source, but it does make it more difficult
for an author to achieve the desired result.  Perhaps we need a more
common double-width space character?  Meantime, I am disappointed to
hear that major publications are changing their style to be, IMHO,
less legible.

	But this is getting a bit off-topic - sorry!  As Tidy's whole
purpose in life is to legalise documents, I think that it should
replace the double spaces.  If you disagree with the spec, then it is
that which should be changed before Tidy.

	Just my two penn'th,

		Peter

At 13:28 -0500 11/12/01, Reitzel, Charlie wrote:
>That is good to know.  Thanks.  It makes a lot of sense in the modern,
>kerned and variable pitch font world.  The double space thing is really a
>holdover from fixed-pitch fonts, going back, I'd wager, to the typewriter.

Barn Owls and more at http://www.owlsanctuary.co.uk/
See my web links page at: http://www.noctua.demon.co.uk/links/links.html
PGP encryption software available free from <http://www.pgpi.org>
My PGP id = 0x332B72C0
& PGP fp = 3535 9AD9 C0EA 3606 0DE4  3811 422E 10B4 332B 72C0