RE: don't collapse two spaces at the end of a sentence

From: Barney Wol <Barney.Wol@noctua.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:02:13 +0000
To: html-tidy@w3.org
	Personally I always use two spaces at the end of sentences.
Yes, it does hark back to the days of manual, fixed-pitch
typewriters, but it is the way I was taught and, more importantly, I
believe it aids legibility.  With no disrespect to Diane, compare her
brief message below, to Charlie's.

	That the HTML specs require multiple white-space characters
to be rendered as a single space certainly cleans up the resultant
the layout, especially when there may be extra carriage-returns
and/or line-feeds in the source, but it does make it more difficult
for an author to achieve the desired result.  Perhaps we need a more
common double-width space character?  Meantime, I am disappointed to
hear that major publications are changing their style to be, IMHO,
less legible.

	But this is getting a bit off-topic - sorry!  As Tidy's whole
purpose in life is to legalise documents, I think that it should
replace the double spaces.  If you disagree with the spec, then it is
that which should be changed before Tidy.

	Just my two penn'th,

At 13:28 -0500 11/12/01, Reitzel, Charlie wrote:
>That is good to know.  Thanks.  It makes a lot of sense in the modern,
>kerned and variable pitch font world.  The double space thing is really a
>holdover from fixed-pitch fonts, going back, I'd wager, to the typewriter.

Barn Owls and more at http://www.owlsanctuary.co.uk/
See my web links page at: http://www.noctua.demon.co.uk/links/links.html
PGP encryption software available free from <http://www.pgpi.org>
My PGP id = 0x332B72C0
& PGP fp = 3535 9AD9 C0EA 3606 0DE4  3811 422E 10B4 332B 72C0