Re: Accessibility checking in Tidy

From: J. David Bryan <jdbryan@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:53:08 -0500
To: HTML Tidy List <html-tidy@w3.org>
CC: chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca, mikes.lam@utoronto.ca
On 4 Nov 2001, at 13:36, Terry Teague wrote:

> I can provide command line binaries of the current code for Mac OS and
> Windows if people want to experiment....

Please do (I use Win32).  And if the associated source code explains what
is being checked or the reasons for specific checks, then please make the
source available too.

Accessibility checking would be a welcome addition to Tidy.  Currently, I
implement this in a limited fashion by validating to a "stricter" custom
version of the HTML 4.01 DTD, but of course that's just a syntax check.  A
semantic checker would be better.

> Below is output from Tidy using "-access 3 --show-errors 1000
> Overview.html".

Which "overview.html" specifically (so that I may duplicate your reported
results)?

> HTML Tidy for Mac OS (vers 1st September 2001; built on Sep 29 2001, at
> 14:03:00) Parsing console input (stdin)

In looking over the sample error report (and bearing in mind that I don't
have the source document), some of the entries appear a bit odd at first
glance.  However, I'll wait until I've had a chance to try it myself before
offering specific comments.

                                      -- Dave