Re: tidy and scripts. Tell me more

At 10:08 AM -0400 9/7/01, Allan Clark wrote:

>jany.quintard@fr.ibm.com wrote:
>> ... I am getting results which don't cope with [...]
>> So, I suppose my tidy is different or I use it the wrong way.
>> [...]
>>
>> By the way, why not include the version or build number in the meta tag
>> generated by tidy ?

>I agree with Jany -- provide the version in tidy's meta tag, if only to
>provide a little more information in the resulting document for
>debugging situations like this.

I would agree with you. I originally modified the Tidy code to append the
name of my platform. The current Tidy code now has this feature. It would
be easy to append the release date as well. Note, I say "append" so that
the meta tag is backwards compatible with earlier versions of Tidy - all
versions look for "HTML Tidy" to see if the tag already exists. However
currently if the Tidy meta tag already exists, it is never updated - which
means if your document was originally tidied by Tidy 04 Aug 00 on a Windows
platform, and now is being updated with a mythical Tidy 01 Jan 02 on a
Linux platform, the Tidy meta tag would still relect the older version.

Comments?

>So tidy.sf.net is now the top-of-tree source for tidy?

Yes. Since no official releases have been announced yet, Dave Raggett's
site has not changed, and so unless you are in the know (an announcement
was made on the html-tidy mailing list back in May), you may not have known
about the Tidy project on SourceForge <grin>.

Feel free to visit, and download the current source.

>Is anyone starting automake/autoconf for tidy?

I think the current plan is to not to do this for the current code, but to
do it when we start designing the library version of Tidy. I'm not a
automake/autoconf expert, so any help would be welcome.

I suggest you (Allan) might want to join the tidy-develop mailing list, so
we can hash ideas like this out. See <http://tidy.sourceforge.net> for
details.

Regards, Terry