Re: Empty paragraphs

From: Lee Passey <lee@novonyx.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:16:44 -0600
To: "html-tidy@w3.org" <html-tidy@w3.org>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >I have some html files which contain the phrase <p>&nbsp;<p>, and I
> >expected that same behavior would hold for them.  This is not the case.
>
> Why should it?

Re-reading my previous response I believe I could be a little more clear
about my motivations.  The problem is caused by (gasp!) Microsoft Word
2000!  If I create a Word 2000 document that contains a double space
between certain paragraphs, when creating its bloated and inappropriate
HTML Word represents the empty line as a paragraph with a single
non-breaking space.  My goal is to tidy this to a break (<br />) instead
of an (almost) empty paragraph.