Re: OT: XHTML 1.0 vs. HTML 4.01 in MSIE

Klaus Johannes Rusch writes:

> If you use XHTML as HTML, with a MIME type of text/html, the
> built-in entities of the browser can be used.

> When you use XHTML as XML, with a MIME type of text/xml or
> application/xml, all entities would need to be defined (no other XML
> processor would process an XML document with something like ä
> either)

How do I influence whether the MIME type text/html or text/xml is
used? Isn't that what the content-type header is used for?  I
configured my tidy to output xhtml but *not* to produce xml.
The document in question starts like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <head>

I checked the tidy-configurarion file and noticed that add-xml-decl
has been turned on.  Will it be sufficient to remove the <?xml ...>
declaration at the very beginning of the file go get the file to
render correctly in MSIE?

On the other hand the XHTML doc at http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ says
(just below the first example):

Note that in this example, the XML declaration is included. An
XMLdeclaration like the one above is not required in all XML
documents. XHTML document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML
declarations in all their documents. Such a declaration is required
when the character encoding of the document is other than the default
UTF-8 or UTF-16.

Are there any MSIE specific mailing lists or newsgroups I could take
this problem to?  They may have a FAQ which covers this..

Cheers -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                                engelke@gmx.net
                                  *** Programming ... by trial and reboot. ***