Re: OT: XHTML 1.0 vs. HTML 4.01 in MSIE

In <3A5B58DD.C970DEFC@firstech.com>, Gary L Peskin <garyp@firstech.com> writes:
> I'm certainly no expert on this but I have been able to replicate your
> problem.  Somehow, I think the MSXML support in IE is messed up.  If I
> save the document to my local drive, it works fine if I use a .html
> suffix but not an .xml suffix.  Perhaps you'd have better luck posting
> this on a MS IE related list.  I've never been able to find a clear
> explanation of exactly the steps that MSXML support in IE goes through
> to render a page.

If you use XHTML as HTML, with a MIME type of text/html, the built-in entities
of the browser can be used.

When you use XHTML as XML, with a MIME type of text/xml or application/xml, all
entities would need to be defined (no other XML processor would process an XML
document with something like &auml; either)

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net