Re: [BUG?] TD inline content not accepted with strict doctype

On 5 Jan 2001, at 21:27, Barney Wol wrote:

> Hmmm, the way I would read that recommendation is that the W3C is
> trying to encourage HTML 4 standards.

Indeed, I agree.  But note that it states that HTML 4 documents should be
created _instead_ of HTML 3.2 documents.  A document containing, e.g., just
simple paragraph elements will validate as either an HTML 2.0, HTML 3.2, or
HTML 4.01 document.  The difference is only in the doctype chosen.
However, to comply with the recommendation, one must use an HTML 4.01
doctype, because only then is the document an "HTML 4 document."

The sentence after the one I quoted from the HTML 4.01 Specification is:

  "For reasons of backward compatibility, W3C also recommends that tools
   interpreting HTML 4 continue to support HTML 3.2 and HTML 2.0 as well."

By stating that support of earlier HTML standards should be maintained for
"backward compatibility," I would think that implies that these earlier
standards are not recommended for new authoring work, i.e., that all new
documents should carry one of the HTML 4.01 doctypes.

> I am open to persuasion, but none-the-less feel sure that a filetype
> should always be specified as the minimum version necessary for a reader
> to be able to decode it....

That would appear to argue that one should never use the HTML 4.01 Strict
doctype, because any strict document will also validate at the "lesser"
HTML 4.01 Transitional level.  Wouldn't the HTML 4 Strict doctype be
pointless then?

Also, that would require that if I create a simple Web page with some
paragraph elements, I should use an HTML 2.0 doctype.  If I then edit a
paragraph in that page to include an abbreviation marked by <ABBR> tags,
then I would change the doctype to HTML 4.01.  And if I delete the
paragraph containing the ABBR element and replace it with a table, I must
then reset the doctype to HTML 3.2.  That doesn't seem practicable for a
Web site of any size or even for a single page that's updated frequently.

The "Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines" at:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-TECHS/

has, as "Checkpoint 11.1:"

  "Use W3C technologies when they are available and appropriate for a task
   and use the latest versions when supported. [Priority 2]"

Regardless of whether I have a page of simple markup or one that uses the
latest 4.01 features, I would argue that "use the latest versions" implies
that I should be using HTML 4.01 doctypes exclusively for all new
authoring.

Of course, as one of the editors of the HTML 4.01 Specification, Dave
Raggett would be in a perfect position to tell us the intent of the
standard.  Dave, is it a replacement for previous HTML versions, or is it
co-standard to be used only when HTML 4-only features are needed?

(Actually, I am sympathetic to Barney's position that the doctype should
reflect the level of the content.  I just don't believe that the W3C
recommendation intends this. :-)

                                      -- Dave