Re: [BUG?] TD inline content not accepted with strict doctype

At 15:07 -0500 4/1/01, J. David Bryan wrote:

>On 3 Jan 2001, at 0:10, Peter Vince wrote:
> > Therefore, the correct Doctype declaration to use is the minimum that is
> > actually required.
>
>I believe that is contraindicated by this statement in the "Status of this
>Document" section of the HTML 4.01 Specification:
>
>  "W3C recommends that authors produce HTML 4 documents instead of HTML
>   3.2 documents."
>
>(Producing an "HTML 4 document" requires using an HTML 4 doctype.)
>
>                                      -- Dave

Hmmm, the way I would read that recommendation is that the W3C is
trying to encourage HTML 4 standards.  For example, the use of Style
Sheets rather than the use of embedded <FONT xxxx> commands.  I am
open to persuasion, but none-the-less feel sure that a filetype
should always be specified as the minimum version necessary for a
reader to be able to decode it - else why bother with the declaration
at all?

	Regards,

		Peter

Barn Owls and more at http://www.owlsanctuary.co.uk/
See my web links page at: http://www.noctua.demon.co.uk/links/links.html
PGP encryption software available free from <http://www.pgpi.org>
My PGP id = 0x332B72C0, & fingerprint: 3535 9AD9 C0EA 3606 0DE4  3811
422E 10B4 332B 72C0