mixed content in lists

From: michael lefevre <mjl@michaellefevre.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:12:00 +0100
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hi. New to the list, but I did check the archive for this - apologies if i
missed something.

Just setting up a bunch of new pages, and thought they may as well be HTML
4.01 strict rather than transitional.

Tidy was identifying one of my documents as transitional, but i didn't think
it was.  After some experimenting, I found it was something like this in the
body of the page causing tidy to call it transitional:

<ul>
<li>blah blah blah</li>
</ul>

Replacing it with

<ul>
</ul>

makes tidy happy.  Both examples validate as strict with the W3 validator.
From my non-expert reading of the DTD, it looks like an <li> tag can contain
inline elements.

On a related point, tidy's "enclose-block-text" option converts my first
example into my second.  The release notes say tidy encloses text in "any
block element that allows mixed content for HTML transitional but not HTML
strict".  As far as I can see, that element does allow mixed content in HTML
strict.  Or am I wrong?

tia

michael