Re: Table cell border for null cells?

From: Sebastian Lange <lange@cyperfection.de>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 15:40:09 +0200
To: nick@brainstorm.co.uk, html-tidy@w3.org
Hello Nick,

At 10:13 01.05.2001 +0100, nick@brainstorm.co.uk wrote:
>Hi, first off - great tool.  Our organization is moving to HTML for all
>internal documentation, and I've just began to use Tidy to clean up Word
>2000 files.
>There is one problem I'm having though - in netscape/ie, tables look
>weird when there are empty cells (no regular border resulting in a large
>blank patch in the middle of the table).  The original word2000 files
>used to put a &nbsp; in the empty cells to fix this, but unfortuantely
>Tidy strips this out.
>Is there an option to make sure tables appear regularly gridded?  (I'm
>presuming a space or character in every cell is the only way to achieve
>this right?

put a <BR> into the otherwise empty table cell and it will appear as you
wish (as long as you wish the cell to be at least one line high).

>While I'm here - anyone know of a decent wysiwyg HTML editor for windows
>for the non-techies in our orgnaization?

If you _must_ - use Macromedia's Dreamweaver...

But nothing can substitute profound knowledge of the HTML Standards.
http://www.htmlhelp.org/reference/ is a good way to become acquainted with
them, if the stuff at www.w3.org appears to be too "dry"  or "techie"...

>Nick Bower, Intranet Developer
>103a Seven Sisters Road
>London N7 7QP
>United Kingdom
>Tel 020 7686 2588
>Mob 0790 5405 443
>Fax 020 7281 4416

Sebastian Lange
Maybe the first chat site that validates as HTML
4.0 even though user input may contain HTML codes.

Courtesy to Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy:

Tidy your documents ONLINE: