Re: Bug reports (fao Dave Raggett)

* Main identity wrote:
>1. When I edit the XHTML file in Notepad or Wordpad (saving as text of
>course) and save it again, all the line ends are lost. Refreshing the
>display in IE then results in an error dialogue saying "error in line 1,
>character 1, object expected". I tried this many times and even if I make no
>editing changes in Notepad or Wordpad, but just save the file, the same
>problem always occurs.

I cannot see where HTML Tidy is the problem here.

>2. My second problem is a consequence of my HTML writing style. Throughout
>my site I have used thousands of anchor names for indexing purposes like
>this:
>
>    <A NAME="xyz"><H2>Section heading</H2></A>
>
>Tidy (and presumably the XHTML specification too) doesn't like this. It
>wants
>
>   <H2><A NAME="xyz">Section heading</A></H2>
>
>which is probably not unreasonable. What IS unreasonable, however, is that
>it completely omits the anchors from the XHTML output instead of changing
>the nesting order, and there doesn't seem to be any way of changing that
>behaviour in the configuration of Tidy.

This is a bug. I think this was processed correctly in former versions.

Btw:

% tidy

Tidy (vers 4th August 2000) Parsing console input (stdin)
<A NAME="xyz"><H2>Section heading</H2></A>
line 1 column 1 - Warning: inserting missing 'title' element
line 1 column 15 - Warning: missing </a> before <h2>
line 1 column 39 - Warning: discarding unexpected </a>
^Z

stdin: Document content looks like HTML 3.2
3 warnings/errors were found!

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<h2>Section heading</h2>