Re: Hair loss and Netscape Blues !!

From: Sebastian Lange <lange@cyperfection.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:44:08 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Cc: "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
At 22:54 12.12.2000 -0500, Peter Vince wrote:
>PS You suggested using a 1 pixel transparent GIF to force Netscape to
>colour the background of a cell - I use an "nbsp", as this saves the HTTP
>overhead of yet another file to download, and still renders correctly if
>the user has images turned off.

I agree pretty much with everything that Peter wrote in reply to Richard's
nice email. Regarding the &nbsp; entity in order to have table cells
rendered in Netscape:

This of course causes trouble if the desired cell height is less than line
height (so in that case, you'd have to go back to the 1px transparent GIF),
however, if the line height problem is not an issue, I'd rather use <BR>
than &nbsp;, because <BR> has the same effect without rendering this stupid
lone space on the page when you "select all" text (CTRL-A/APPLE-A) on the page.

sebastian