Re: Understanding Tidy

From: Serge Knystautas <sergek@lokitech.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:52:30 -0500
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>, "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com>

> I found the following in clause 7.5.3 in the file
...\html40\struct\global.html.

> "Generally, block-level elements may contain inline elements and other
> block-level elements. Generally, inline elements may contain only data and
> other inline elements. Inherent in this structural distinction is the idea
> that block elements create "larger" structures than inline elements"

That is exactly the guideline I gave you, and then I ask you to read the
spec...

> That wording is too loose. The spec needs to be tightened.

No, you can't ignore a 753k document and say "it needs to be tightened"...
you have to read it...

a FONT tag can wrap % inline entities. % inline entity can be text, %
fontstyle entities, % phrase entities, %special entities, and %formctrl
entities.  % fontstyle is TT, I, B, U, S, STRIKE, BIG, and SMALL tags.  %
pharse is EM, STRONG, DFN, CODE, SAMPL, KBD, VAR, CITE, ABBR, and ACRONYM.
% special is A, IMG, APPLET, OBJECT, FONT, BASEFONT, BR, SCRIPT, MAP, Q,
SUB, SUP, SPAN, BDO, and IFRAME.  %formctrl is INPUT, SELECT, TEXTAREA,
LABEL, and BUTTON.

Meanwhile, UL is a % list entity, which is a % block entity... you very
clearly can't put UL instead a FONT tag.  HTML 3.2 clearly shows the same
rules.

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/