Problem with custom HTML TAGS using HTML TIDY

From: Dominic Jackson <dominic@wirestation.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:53:30 -0500 (EST)
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

Would be grateful if someone could help me with the following problem. Have
searched the mail archives, but with no real joy. Apologies if this has been
handled before ...

I'm trying to use some custom tags using the following options in config.txt
(as well as trying different combinations of custom tag types):

new-blocklevel-tags:
new-empty-tags:
new-inline-tags:
new-pre-tags: heading, para, text, flowtext, subheading, main_content,
select_element, skeleton, nav, start_flowtext, select_element, break

When converting the following HTML to XML, I get a problem where the custom
tag is causing formatting tags (font, b, etc..) to be split around our new
tags. Is there a way around this ?

EXAMPLE INPUT HTML:-

<head>
<title></title>
</head>

<b>
<heading style="background-colour:#8000FF">
<b>Got an event this summer that needs a boost</b>
</heading>
</b>

EXAMPLE OUTPUT HTML IN OUR TIDY.LOG:-

<?xml version="1.0"?>

  <head>

    <title></title>
  </head>

<heading style="background-colour:#8000FF">
summer that needs a boost</b>
</heading>

Thanks,
Dominic Jackson