<textarea> formatting and White space

From: Rzepa, Henry <h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:44:08 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org
We recently submitted a scholarly  article for refereeing which used, inter alia,  JTidy
(anyone interested please contact me)
We were blasted by one less than well informed Referee who suggested
that using  Tidy might totally rearrange the on-screen appearance.

There are few instances where XHTML is WYSIWYG, but of course

<pre>
</pre>

is one, which Tidy carefully avoids indenting when its nested,
to avoid introducing white space not specified by the author.

But another where Tidy DOES indent is

          <textarea name="words" rows="5">
            Keywords, molecular formulae or SMILES search terms
          </textarea>

(the above is indented  textarea produced by Tidy). What it should have
produced is presumably

          <textarea name="words" rows="5">
Keywords, molecular formulae or SMILES search terms
          </textarea>

or perhaps

<textarea name="words" rows="5">
Keywords, molecular formulae or SMILES search terms
</textarea>

since the two  do NOT have the same screen appearance.

Can I flag this for any (minor) attention that the geriatric
<form> element might still get (before being replaced by  xform)
--

Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0)20 7594 5804 (Fax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7  2AY, UK.