Re: HTML comments and SSI

From: Chris Matson <saexpress@netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:44:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
> We are agreed that newlines after comments should not be removed
YES

> Perhaps whitespace is not significant to the document or the parser;
> however, it is often _very_ significant to the humans responsible for
> editing the document
YES

> I would not change anything with the HTML source, but would
> really like to see tidy change. Here we are only concerned with the
> pretty printing function of tidy
YES

Comments need to be indented in the pretty version, with no newlines removed
OR ADDED. In my original post I said that when there's only ONE comment the
pretty version inserts an extra blank line after it (which thus detaches the
comment from the following block - defeating it's purpose), thus

    <!-- comment describing purpose of following para-->

instead of

    <!-- comment describing purpose of following para -->

unless the blank line is added BEFORE the paragraph block which follows the
comment? In this case the prettying function needs to recognize that the
previous tag was a comment and NOT insert the extra blank line.