A question of style?!

From: Stephan Engelke <engelke@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 23:50:51 +0200 (MEST)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Hi everyone,

currently I am in the process of restructuring a Web-site I maintain.
While doing so I will be switching from HTML 4 to XHTML 1 and I hope
to use tidy to do some cleaning for me.

I'd like to generate the header information along with the title tag
and the DTD-lines as well as the footer (including the </body> and
the source of such a document, it complains (quite correctly) about
missing tags and DTD-lines.

I'd like to do as much as possible automatically to facilitate later
maintenance.

My ideal would be something like this:
--- top of file ---
<?php
  include  ("common.php3");
  mkheader ("Page title and <h1>-tag contents", "menu specifier");
?>

(some text)

<?php mkfooter(); ?>
--- end of file ---

I don't really like the idea of having to display a file, save it, run
tidy on it and then check for the problems in the source file. This
would be way to cumbersome to be productive in any way.

I am wondering what other people on this list do about this?  Are
there any reasons not to use the way of automatisation I described
above?

I noticed some questions regarding this but I have not seen any
answers.

Thanks in advance -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                                engelke@gmx.net
       *** "He's dead, Jim. You grab his wallet, I'll grab his tricorder." ***