Re: tidy on html-kit: "new tags" question

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:29:19 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: Alex Fung <Alex.Fung.Ho-san@graduate.hku.hk>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org, gerald@w3.org
On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Alex Fung wrote:

> 1) unless I manually typed all custom tags to the
> edit-preference, tidy complains about each of them. Is there
> anyway to make Tidy assume all new tags are OK? Or better still
> can Tidy accept microsoft x-schema definitions?

Tidy doesn't know how to parse unknown elements and hence
requires you to declare them. This can be done in a config

> 2) If I do not say input is XML, then it will do a lovely thing:
> it converts "<br>"s to "<BR />". However, it won't happen if I
> tell tidy that it is XML. OTOH, if I don't say input is XML,
> then Tidy always add some HTML tags (head, title, etc) to my
> file. How can I have <BR /> conversion but without the <head>
> etc tags added?

If you specify the output is to be XHTML, then the head and body
elements etc. will always be present since that is how XHTML is

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 778 532 0444 (mobile)