Re: html capitalization

From: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:46:16 +1200 (NZST)
To: html-tidy@w3.org, jdean@jsheet.com
"John Dean" <jdean@jsheet.com> asked:

	Is there an official standard for html capitalization?

No.  HTML generic identifiers and attributes are not case sensitive.

	I've seen varying opinions in many respected textbooks and even
	in the w3c.org site.  Is there no official standard?

One could even say that the official standard is that there _cannot_ be
an official standard.

However, XHTML is supposed to supersede HTML, and as an application of XML,
XHTML *is* case sensitive, and a glance at the W3C's DTDs for XHTML will
show you that
|All generic identifiers and attribute names in XHTML are lower case.|
This also applies to predefined attribute values like "compact".

I had always used capital letters, to make the tags stand out clearly from
the plain text, but using lower case will make the transition to XHTML
easier.