HTML Tidy and GNU Autoconf

From: Masterson, David <David.Masterson@kla-tencor.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:59:12 -0700
To: "'html-tidy@w3.org'" <html-tidy@w3.org>
HTML Tidy looks like an interesting program, but I think converting it to
Autoconf/Automake standards would make it more easily maintainable by the
legions of GNU developers.  This would probably make it easier to build on
all the many varied UNIX systems out there (and possibly Windows).  Finally,
it gives a lot of control to the installer in deciding where and how to
install it.

I've already taken a quick whack at that conversion and could send it to
whoever would like to see it (its not that hard).  There are a couple of
questions I have, though, that would help in the conversion (note: I have
not yet gotten to trying to use tidy):

*	What are the GIF files for (tidy.gif and grid.gif)?
*	In order to make the name more specific, would you mean if it was
called "htmltidy" instead of "tidy"?
*	Have you thought of doing documentation in plain text and then
converting to HTML?

Anyone interested in this?  I did it because it's in keeping with the
installation of other tools we use here.
--
David Masterson
*	KLA-Tencor Corp.