Re: Tidy feature request - META Datetime

From: Barney Wol <Barney.Wol@noctua.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:26:14 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Hi Dave,

> > I wonder if it would be possible for Tidy to insert (or update)
> > a META datetime line please?
>
>Could you please explain what you mean and why it would be useful.

The HTML spec allows for machine-readable META data lines in the
header, one variant of which specifies the last update date and time
of the file:

	<META NAME="datetime" CONTENT="2000-03-30T20:31:00+0100">

I believe this and the other META statements are valuable indicators
on HTML files.  The FTP program I use stamps the current date and
time on the file's hard-disc catalogue information when they are
transferred, rather than that from the source disc.  Having the
actual update time encoded in the file itself allows it to be quickly
checked to see if it is the current version.

I was wondering if it would be possible for Tidy to recognise this
Meta statement and update it, or even (optionally?) to add one in the
same way as it adds a Generator statement?

		Regards,

			Peter

Home: Barney.Wol@noctua.demon.co.uk
Work: Peter_Vince@yahoo.co.uk
Web:  http://www.noctua.demon.co.uk/
PGP id = 0x332B72C0
PGP fingerprint: 3535 9AD9 C0EA 3606 0DE4  3811 422E 10B4 332B 72C0