Re: wildcards with html-tidy/DOS

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Ari Davidow wrote:

> What I =want= to do, is to process the files such that they are
> written to a new directory, something like
>
> html-tidy in/*.txt >out/*.txt
>
> This is not working. I can redirect single files
>    html-tidy in/foo.txt >out/foo.txt
>
> but not wildcards.

The MSDOS console doesn't expand wildcards before calling
programs. In principle Tidy could include the code for
doing this for DOS, but I haven't gotten around to that.
A workaround is to run tidy from within a script.

> Beyond that, as may be evinced from the non-html file ending,
> what I'm =really= trying to do with this group of files is to
> process some text files that contain html, but which are not, in
> and of themselves html. In an ideal world, this would mean that
> I'd have a way to suppress the html header and footer, but I can
> find no way to do so. Is there anything to be done?

You might place your text in comments, but HTML Tidy is designed
for tidying HTML and not text files with odd bits of markup.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)