Re: HTML Tidy pages are failing to display in Mozilla M14

From: Steve Rauch <srauch@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:59:38 -0800 (PST)
To: Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com>
cc: "P. T. Rourke" <ptrourke@MEDIAONE.NET>, html-tidy@w3.org
> > All pages that I have created in HTML-Tidy output as XHTML
> Transitional are
> > failing to display in Mozilla M14 for Win98, as is the page
> > http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/ .
>
> Well, this is actually namespace bug in Mozilla. Don't worry about -- it
> will be fixed soon (there already exists several bug reports about XHTML
> support in Moz).

While I cannot speak to the cause of this problem in Mozilla, I do know it
is not limited to Mozilla. I have seen the same problem in M14 on NT and
Linux. Although viewing source shows the HTML file, it does not display in
the browser. But a problem was first pointed out to me by someone running
IE4.5 on a Macintosh. His browser displayed the raw source code.

In all cases, the page could be displayed correctly in the browser by
removing the xml declaration on line 1 of the file.

Since IE4.5 is a freely distributed production version of a browser, I
have had to back off my plans to convert all my html files to
xhtml. Actually, I have been converting them to xhtml, and then removing
the xml declaration.

Sorry, this is probably not a problem with tidy, but perhaps not too for
afield for  the tidy list.

Steve Rauch    srauch@u.washington.edu
UW Academic Medical Center Website Manager