RE: New bug in Tidy?

Dave Raggett wrote:

> My apologies for not having made this behavior clear in the
> documentation. An <li> element without an enclosing list (ul or ol)
> element is an error and gets reported to the user.

As it should.

> Originally, it
> was corrected by wrapping a ul element around it, however this
> caused the page to look quite different from how it would have
> looked in Netscape prior to being tidied. By experiment I found that
> using the style property to negatively indent the bullet gave a good
> semblance of the original rendering. The style attribute will be
> ignored by old browsers.

Tidy has been further expanded to "make it look good in Netscape 4.x"? ???  Even
with the "hack it until it looks good" yardstick, it truncates the beginning of
the list item[s] in IE4.x, IE5.x, and Opera 3.x (and presumably Mozilla, though
I don't have a recent build).

Could this not be made an option, as opposed to default behavior?

/Jelks