Re: New bug in Tidy?

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> schrieb am 15.02.2000 14:49 :

> My apologies for not having made this behavior clear in the
> documentation. An <li> element without an enclosing list (ul or ol)
> element is an error and gets reported to the user. Originally, it
> was corrected by wrapping a ul element around it, however this
> caused the page to look quite different from how it would have
> looked in Netscape prior to being tidied. By experiment I found that
> using the style property to negatively indent the bullet gave a good
> semblance of the original rendering. The style attribute will be
> ignored by old browsers.

No Dave, please do not such things.

When it comes on cleaning presentational markup done by abuse of
HTML-elements translating to CSS results in illogical markup.

Some authors use BLOCKQUOTE or invalid lists to create margins.

Did you think about replacing all BLOCKQUOTE-elements by

No!

The job to bring back structural markup to the mess must be done by the
author and he has to _understand_ what is the difference.

Only possible use for "enhanced autocleaning":
Maybe if you know about certain bugs in special word-processors or editors
you may revert these.

Greeting, Michi
--
<http://nahrath.de/michael/>