Re: Tidy feature request

From: Philip Riebold <philip@livenet.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:41:26 +0000 (GMT)
To: html-tidy <html-tidy@w3.org>
> Dan Kohn wrote:
> > > + Finally, I think you should consider having an option for Tidy
> > > to add a tag such as <meta name="Generator" content="HTML Tidy,
> > > a free utility from Dave Raggett at the W3C, version 30th
> > > November 1999" href="http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/">.
> > > The point would be for anyone viewing the HTML source to say,
> > > "Wow, I wish my source looked this nice!" and immediately know
> > > what to do about it.  Of course, you would want to allow people
> > > to turn this off, but I would suggest that the default should be
> > > on.
>
> Dave Raggett wrote:
> > I would be interested in what other folk think of this idea.
> > It would need to be modified slightly, since href is not an
> > allowed attribute for meta.
>
> I approve!  I think you should allow us the option to give you some
> credit for your hard work.  I *regularly* use HTML Tidy to clean up ugly
> markup and it is one of my favorite tools (in its HTML-Kit incarnation,
> particularly).  A META tag wouldn't hurt anything and making it an
> option should remove any possible objection.
>
> John Tobler

I agree. HTML Tidy is my program of choice when working with HTML, both to
keep my own code in order and make the appallingly markup produced by some
other programs readable.

A META tag would serve as a recognition of the work done on HTML Tidy and
as a pointer to the program for people looking at the HTML source for a
page.

TTFN,

	Philip Riebold