Re: Tidy (oct22) failed to parse comments

From: Todd M. Lewis <utoddl@email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 07:12:09 -0500
To: html-tidy@w3.org
CC: Randy Waki <rwaki@sunscreen.whizbang.com>
Randy Waki wrote:

> For XML, Tidy could fix comments by examining the characters between the
> <!-- and the -->. In runs of two or more consecutive hyphens, replace every
> other hyphen with a space. If the last character is a hyphen, replace it
> with a space.

We may be drifting far afield here, and I don't usually follow these
esoteric points in emerging standards terribly closely, but I just want
to know if I understand what this means. Does this mean the old trick of
hiding Javascript in HTML comments is not going to work in XML-ized
pages? Can you even have Javascript in XML-ized pages? I suddenly feel
like I'm missing something crucial. I haven't seen this issue discussed
before...
  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu              http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /(919) 962-5273           "Year 00 compliant for -98 years!" /