Question about Font Dropping

From: Darren Forcier <dforcier@allaire.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:07:12 -0400
To: "'html-tidy@w3.org'" <html-tidy@w3.org>
All,

I'm finding the following document run through Tidy (both 7/26 and 9/27
releases)  seems to drop the font tags regardless
of whether the configuration file setting Drop Font Tags is turned on or
off.  I have Convert to CSS turned on, but no CSS
is generated.

If I run it through Tidy once with Convert To CSS off though, the Font tag
is preserved. Then I can turn Convert to CSS
back on, run it once more, and the CSS is generated and replaces the font
perfectly. Here is the progression.

-- original document

 <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
   <head>
      <title>
         Untitled
      </title>
   </head>
FONT tags even though
      "Drop Font Tags" is not seleted.</font>

-- After running through Tidy with Convert to CSS on and Drop Font Tags
off... Notice the Font tag is dropped...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &quot;boo&quot;>
  <head>
    <title>
      Untitled
    </title>
    This is a test to see if HTML tidy will delete the FONT tags even though
    &quot;Drop Font Tags&quot; is not seleted.

-- Now re-run the original document with Convert to CSS off:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &quot;boo&quot;>
  <head>
    <title>
      Untitled
    </title>
FONT
    tags even though &quot;Drop Font Tags&quot; is not seleted.</font>

-- Now turn Convert to CSS on and run against previous doc.  Whoo hoo!
Styles are now generated correctly....
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC &quot;boo&quot;>
  <head>
    <title>
      Untitled
    </title>
 span.c1 {color: Black}
    tags even though &quot;Drop Font Tags&quot; is not seleted.</span>

Bug or feature?

Regards,

Darren